Top 10 Best Smart Luggage Tracking Devices – Reviews, Benefits, and Buying Guide
Smart luggage tracking devices are made by a large number of companies and come in a variety of forms. Whether in the form of a single bar code card that is inside the bag, or an outer tag similar to the type you attach to suitcases before flying. You have options when figuring out how you want to track your bag, and how obvious you want it to be. While this won’t solve every single problem when it comes to missing luggage, it does create a variety of options that weren’t available before.
If you’re curious, or in a hurry:
Feel free to scroll through our smart luggage tracker buying guide, check out prices and reviews, and pick the best option for your needs.
Top 10 Best Selling Smart Luggage Trackers (Amazon.com)
Last update on 2019-03-21 at 08:15 / Affiliate links / Images and ratings from Amazon Product Advertising API
How Can a Smart Luggage Tracker Help You?
You can track items as small as a handbag or a wallet, or a very large suitcase or bag. Whatever your specific needs, there is going to be a smart luggage tracking device that can meet those needs and a lot more. So it is important to do your homework to get the type of device that best fits your specific needs.
Losing your luggage while traveling from one place to another could be the worst thing to ever happen. According to some sources, the aviation industry suffers a loss of nearly £2 billion a year due to this problem. However, companies have now developed a phenomenal technology through which you can track your luggage easily no matter if it is stolen or stashed at some airport facility.
Our Top 5 Picks for Smart Luggage Tracking Devices
#1. AMERICALOC GL300W Mini Portable Real Time GPS Tracker
1 used from $ 81.33
- GPS Tracker for vehicles, people, assets. New version of the famous GL300. As a welcome, Americaloc will add 2 extra months to your first service purchase. Service is USD 25 a month or even less if you buy more time. Cancel anytime
- Why this one and not other version. This is the longest battery life version with extended multicarrier coverage. No activation or hidden fees. Ready to use. Beware of cheaper trackers with less battery life or less coverage. This is the new version.
- Alerts: movement,parked, speeding, device on/off, low battery, entering or leaving zones, front button pressed.Battery life measured in days or even weeks, not in hours
- Real Time Tracking and 1 year of tracking history. Track from any computer, tablet or phone or just download our Android and Iphone APP. Works in the US, Canada, Europe and in almost every country in the world
- 1 minute location updates while moving. Can be configured for location updates every 60, 30 or 10 seconds with no additional cost. This tracker is not an outdated 2G. This is the new version and it is better than a 2G
#2. Personal GPS Tracker - Mini, Portable, Track in Real Time - 4G LTE
1 used from $ 46.45
- ✅ TAKE IT ANYWHERE: PrimeTracking's GPS tracker was developed with your busy lifestyle in mind. This compact tracker is portable and easily stored in strollers, vehicles, backpacks cars or luggage.
- ✅ REAL TIME TRACKING: Easily and privately track any location in the US from your computer, tablet, or phone with our ultimate GPS tracking app.
- ✅ INSTANT UPDATES: Get updates on location and direction; see movement as it happens and map routes taken. Our 4G LTE tracker is fast and reliable. Our competition is 2G and won't be supported as 2G continues to be deactivated across networks.
- ✅ $25 / month. Cancel anytime. $20 / month for 6 months.
- ✅ IDEAL FOR CHILDREN, BUSINESSES AND SENIORS: Breathe easier knowing your loved ones are safe. By utilizing our GPS tracker, you can know where they are and be alerted if they go too far. (geofence) Your loved ones can also push the SOS button for emergencies. Perfect for business to track drivers, speed and logistics. Maintain safety standards and help keep employees honest.
#3. LandAirSea 54 Waterproof Magnetic Real Time GPS Tracker
- Personal GPS for reliable tracking of people, vehicles, and/or assets
- Ultra-compact design | 100% waterproof | built-in super strength magnet
- Attaches to vehicle | fits in small pockets | discretely hide in backpack, carrying case or purse
- Track & map (with Google Maps) in real-time on web-based software or SilverCloud App
- Text & email alerts | geofencing | driver behavior & location reporting | historical playback
#4. GPS Tracker - Optimus 2.0
- Optimus GPS Tracker - Track People, Vehicles, Items
- $19.95 per month - Cancel Anytime - No Contract - No Hidden Fees - Customizable position report frequency from 30 Seconds while moving. Upgradable to 10 seconds.
- IPhone and Android App for Easy and Fast Tracking - Special Routing Feature for Investigators
- Email and Text Message Alerts for Movement, Speeding, Leaving or Entering Areas, Low Battery, SOS Button - Driving Reports - Unlimited GPS Tracking Historical Data Saved During Service
- SIM Card and Data Plan Included - FCC, PTCRB Certified Unit - Coverage for USA
#5. Mini GPS Tracker TKSTAR Anti-Theft Real Time Tracking on App
- ✔Super Mini Size:1.85"-0.94"-0.7"inches,600mAh Battery,Standby time:20 Day, .Working mode:3-7days
- ✔Track and map (with Google Maps) in real-time over the Internet or our FREE App,accuracy up to 5-10 meters.
- ✔Anti-Lost function:Real Time tracking | Historical playback | Geo-Fence
- ✔$5/ month,App no fees:Not Includes SIM card (please buy a GSM card ,Speed Talk is pecfect）. Speed Talk Monthly cost normaly is about $5(more or less ),Email:email@example.com
- ✔Applications: Mainly used for tracking Luggage,Assets, Cars | Kids,Baby,Elderly person tracking safe
Benefits Of Smart Luggage Tracking Devices
Have you ever had the sinking feeling when you are waiting for your luggage at the airport only to find out that it never shows? If so, you are not alone. For this reason, a lot of consumers have demanded that smart luggage tracking devices enter the market. In this article, we will be going over some of the unique benefits of these kinds of devices.
The main benefit that you are going to get from these kinds of devices is the ability to track your luggage from place to place. This will allow you to keep track of your luggage should it happen to be lost in transit. Ultimately, this is the biggest reason to invest in one of these devices.
Peace Of Mind
By having a tracking device on your luggage throughout your travels, you are going to have the peace of mind that will allow you to travel without worrying that you would lose your luggage forever. While it can be nerve-wracking not knowing whether or not the airport is going to be able to find your luggage at all, knowing that you have access to the location of your luggage at all times will alleviate your concerns. No longer do you have to be waiting for days and days for the airlines to find your lost luggage. You will be able to tell them its exact location and retrieve it as soon as possible.
Technologies Used in Smart Luggage Trackers – GPS vs. Bluetooth vs. Tags
Pros: Can be tracked in real time, and cover a wide area
Cons: Sometimes only nationwide coverage network, or subscription based. Poor GPS signal affects usability.
Pros: Very small and inexpensive, long battery life
Cons: Small detection range, typically up to 30 yards/meters
Pros: They store your information in electronic format, no battery required
Cons: Not a tracker per se, just a more secure way to store your information in case of loss
How to Choose the Best Smart Luggage Tacking Device
A device is going to have to have some kind of an app that you can use with it. You’re going to want to make sure you read on the packaging what you’re going to need to use to make sure that your device can communicate with your tracker. Do you need an Android, iOS, or another type of phone or device to use with the tracker? What about just using a computer that can get online? Whatever it is, you have to know about it before you buy the tracker so that you don’t get stuck with one that you need to return.
Read reviews on third party websites. Avoid the product website reviews because they will not put anything negative up against their company. It’s best to just work with various reviews that you know were written by others that don’t have too much to do with the company so you know you’re getting legitimate people talking about using the device. Of course, companies still can hire people to review things for money. If you notice that a site has all positive press and there are no cons listed at all, it’s probably because the company paid for those reviews. Yes, it does happen.
The number one thing that you should look for is battery life. The battery on the device is one of the most important things to consider because the tracking device is going to be of no use to you if it simply dies every couple of hours. You need to be able to count on it accurately to track your luggage location long after it is lost. This means that you should be looking for a device that is going to last a long time in terms of battery.
Some tracking devices use AA batteries while others make use of a proprietary rechargeable battery. It is preferable that you choose the device which uses rechargeable batteries as they are more reliable and convenient. On the other hand, the standard AA batteries can be purchased in the airport in case you got there unprepared. As always, evaluate your pros and cons.
Is the Device FCC Certified and FAA Compliant?
Make sure the tracking device you are using is FCC certified and also FAA Compliant. You really don’t want your luggage to start buzzing when going through a checkpoint, in such case the airport security might even remove the device.
Most of the tracking companies offer their device on one-time payment and the mobile phone application is available for free. However, some even require an annual or monthly subscription fee. It is better that you choose the one which required minimal or no subscription fee.
It is highly important that you check if the company you are opting for offers the best customer service and is linked with airports as finding lost luggage is not the only concern but figuring out a way to get back your luggage is also essential.
Q1. Can you put a GPS tracker in your luggage?
Yes. You have three options to choose from GPS, Mobile/GSM, and Bluetooth trackers. Each option has its own benefits and limitations. For example, GPS can be detected anywhere in the world but their signal can be inaccurate. Whereas, Mobile/GSM trackers use a mobile network to locate the luggage. As well as, Bluetooth trackers are accurate but they don’t have a large range.
Q2. Can you track your luggage?
Yes. In fact, they’re popular all over the world. As you know, many airlines are incapable of keeping your luggage safe so you don’t want to keep yourself at the mercy of them. Since technology has improved over the years, it doesn’t matter what technology you use, each tech will provide accurate results. They’re also affordable to all types of pockets.
Q3. How do I track my luggage on a plane?
It’s very easy to do so thus, you don’t have to worry about losing your baggage. If you want to track your checked baggage, you will need the Bag Tag Number that you receive at check-in. You can also use the App that comes with the tracker. The good news about them is the fact that you don’t need service for the app to work. In addition to this, they’re compact which means that they will fit in pockets with ease.
Q4. How does the smart luggage tracker work?
Such devices will help you track your luggage regardless of where they are. They will connect to your smartphone so you will be the first person to know when your luggage arrives. All that you will need to do is to put the tracker in the check-in baggage and connect to the app. Some models will even let you know when the bag has been picked-up or opened.
Q5. Would I be able to track my luggage in real time?
Yes. By login on to the app, you will be able to find out the location of the luggage, which carousel to pick it up from, and you will also be provided with a map of the airport. Thus, you will always know where you are and how to get to the desired carousel.
Q6. What is a smart luggage tag?
Such tag will automatically store information such as your contact details, flight details, and your itinerary. Similarly, to the trackers, some models do not require cell service as they’re designed with Bluetooth. Whereas, some will provide global tracking.
Q7. Smart luggage tag vs. GPS tracker
Without a doubt, a tracker is much more convenient to use due to the fact that it provides reliable information. Whereas, a smart luggage tag will allow for your luggage to be shipped to your hotel as it has all of the information needed.
Q8. What is a smart suitcase (smart luggage with tracker)?
Such luggage has been crafted with many technologies. You will be able to charge your devices, track your luggage, and ensure that your bag cannot be opened without your consent.
More Tips & Tricks
Test Your Luggage Tracking Device Before You Actually Use It
When you finally find something that works with your budget, try to see if it works properly. Try putting the tracker somewhere near you and then try to look at where it says it is on the device you’re going to track it with like a computer or phone. Try testing the tracker as you’re traveling as well just to see how well it’s keeping up with its job. If anything goes wrong then you know that you should try to buy something else that works better.
Don’t Keep Valuables in the Luggage
The tracking devices don’t work perfectly all the time and due to an inefficient GPS, it is possible that the location of the luggage cannot be tracked. Thus it is always a good idea to keep important stuff with you and not in the luggage.
Getting a smart luggage tracking device for your next travel is an excellent idea. Smart luggage tracking devices have to be installed before you travel next. It’s a great investment, especially if you are going to travel with anything expensive. Don’t let anyone get away with stealing or losing your luggage ever again!
Right now we see just private individuals using them, but I’m hoping for the times when airlines and bus companies would catch up on the idea, and implement them across the board for all of our travel.
We hope our smart luggage tracking device shopping guide was useful for you in making the best buying decision.
Link to this Article
If you found this guide useful, feel free to link to it using the image below (with attribution)