This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In this article, we will discuss whether not lights can be taken off a pre-lit tree. Have you tried plugging-in your pre-lit Christmas tree and find out that some of the lights are not working? This is a common issue that many people deal with, especially if the tree is already a few years old. Some of the lights will inevitably get damaged. If this happens, what can you do? Is it possible to change the lights to save money in purchasing a new tree?
Can you take lights off a pre-lit tree? This will have to depend on the kind of artificial pre-lit tree that you have. Some trees are pre-wired and strung with lights embedded within the artificial branches and cannot be removed. On the other hand, there are also some trees wherein you can change the light bulbs.
How do I remove the lights from my pre-lit tree? What is the right way to change the light bulb on a pre-lit tree? Can I restring lights on a pre-lit Christmas tree? These are some of the questions that we will answer in this article. If you are having issues with the lights of your pre-lit tree, you can check out the rest of this post for more information and tips that you can follow.
How do I Remove the Lights from My Pre-Lit Christmas Tree?
You first need to check the kind of lights that are in the tree. The strands are already attached to the branches of the tree, while each of the strands has individual light bulbs. If some light bulbs get burned, you can have the option of replacing those bulbs. On the other hand, you can also cut the stands to remove the entire lights and replace them with new ones. Below are the steps on how to remove lights from a pre-lit Christmas tree.
- Plug the pre-lit tree into a power outlet to check which lights are working and which ones are not.
- You can use a Christmas bulb tester to check each of the lights. To do this, you need to remove each bulb from the stands and place it into the bulb tester. When tested, a working bulb will automatically light up.
- If a bulb is not working, you can replace it with the spare bulb that usually comes with the tree, or you can also purchase from your local store.
- If the replacement light is not working, twist the bulbs from side to side.
- In case all the lights are not working properly, check the fuse at the end of the light strand. With the use of a small screwdriver, open the cover of the fuse. Next, pull out the damaged fuse and replace it with a new one.
- You also need t check the lights strands. Most of the strands come with numbers of letters from the top to bottom. Find the end plug of the unlit section and unplug it.
- Plugin your new strand of lights and wrap them around the tree. Connect the end of the new strand to the old ones.
✅ Video – How I Remove the Lights of my Pre-Lit Tree
Cherra B shared the video below on her YouTube channel. She demonstrates how to remove the strands of lights from the Christmas tree. This is a good option if you have an artificial tree where the stands can be removed or cut off. It is an ideal way to replace the lights if most of it is damaged or if you want to change the color of the lights without replacing the tree. Check out the video below for the demonstration.
How to Restring Lights on a Pre-Lit Christmas Tree
If the tree’s issue is not on the bulbs but on the wire itself, you can remove the entire string and replace them with new light strands. In some trees, you might be required the remove all the light wires. You can do this with wire cutters to make the job faster. After that, you can restring the tree with new lights. If the light strings encountered a short, it is not usually repairable. A short is caused when the insulation of the wire breaks down, which allows the charge to flow in an unintended path.
Shorts are usually caused by cutting or damaging the wire, overloading the circuit by plugging in many devices into an outlet or adding light strings without calculating amps and wattage. Below are easy steps on how you can restring the lights of a pre-lit Christmas tree.
- Check the light string to ensure that they are properly connected, no broken or burnt bulbs, and fuses are working.
- If a section is not working, find the male of the plug and the master bulb.
- Attach your new light strand with the use of a zip tie near the location of the original master bulb.
- Remove the original master bulb.
- Following the original light strand, carefully remove each light attached to the branches and replace them with a new one.
- Secure the wires into the branch tips.
- Repeat the process until you have replaced the entire light strand.
✅ Video – How to Restring Lights on a Pre-lit Christmas Tree
ChristopherCringles shared the video below on YouTube. It shows how to restring lights on a pre-lit Christmas tree. Take note that there are many causes why the lights on your tree get damaged. It is essential that you carefully check the lights before replacing the bulbs or restringing the lights. For a visual demonstration, you can check out the video below.
How to Change the Light Bulbs on a Pre-Lit Christmas Tree
If a light bulb is damaged, you can replace it with a new one. Most pre-lit Christmas tree on sale comes with spare replacement bulbs. These bulbs are the same as the ones on the tree. You can also purchase a replacement bulb at your local store. However, make sure that you purchase a bulb that is the same as the pre-lit tree. Do not replace an incandescent bulb with a LED because it is not compatible and may cause some issues. Below are the steps on how to change the light bulbs on a pre-lit Christmas tree.
- After locating the damaged bulbs, you need to unplug the lights.
- Gently remove the protective clip from the branch. The purpose of the clips is to hold the lights into the branch and prevent damage to the bulbs.
- For bulbs that have a bulb lock, lift the plastic tab to remove the bulb.
- Remove the bulb from the plastic seating.
- Get your new bulb. It will have two copper wires.
- Align the wires in the plastic seating so that they can be properly treaded into the unit.
- Thread the wires into the plastic seating and bend them back into the groves on the bulb setting.
- Place the unit back into the bulb casing and push down to lock the bulb using the plastic bulb lock.
- Clip the bulb into the branch of the tree.
✅ Video – Changing the Light Bulbs on a Pre-Lit Tree
Balsam Hills shared the video below on YouTube. It demonstrates how to change the light bulbs on a pre-lit tree. This is an easy step-by-step video that you follow in case a bulb on your tree gets damaged. You can watch the video below for the complete instructions.
Can You Put Lights on a Pre-Lit Tree?
Pre-lit Christmas trees are a versatile and convenient way to decorate your tree this season. On the other hand, you can brighten up the tree’s existing color scheme by adding lights, especially in dark areas. You can use either white or multi-colored lights in decorating your tree. Wrap the lights into the tree, concentrating on areas where you want additional lighting. You can also check out this article that we have written titled, is it safe to add lights to a pre-lit Christmas tree? We have shared an in-depth discussion about the topic you might find helpful in decorating your pre-lit tree with additional lights.
Why is half of my Christmas Lights Out?
Some of the reasons why light bulbs malfunction includes a loose bulb, broken socket, or frayed wire. It would be best if you also considered that most light bulbs have short life expectancies. This means that they are designed to last up to three seasons, depending on the usage. However, there are now LED lights that can last ten times longer than traditional lights. After taking down your tree, plug them in before storing to ensure that the lights still work. Store them properly to avoid damaging the lights.
Can LED Light Bulbs Overheat?
One of the reasons a light bulb could start a fire is by overheating. On the other hand, it is highly unlikely to happen with LED lights. LED does not emit light from a vacuum as compared to other types of bulbs. Their illumination is provided by a semiconductor. While LED lights may feel hot to the touch, they produce lower temperatures than other light bulbs. We have also written this article that talks about the most popular size of Christmas tree, you can check out the article for more tips and information.
How Long do LED Pre-Lit Trees Last?
This will have to depend on the quality of the lights, usage, and how you take care of them. How you store the tree plays an important role in how long the lights will last. Ensure that you store the tree in a safe and wide box so that the branches will not compress and damage the lights. If you are taking good care of your LED pre-lit tree, it can last for up to 15 or 20 years, including minor fixes.
You have reached the end of this post that discusses if the lights of the pre-lit tree can be taken. As we have mentioned above, there are many reasons wherein you may need to replace the lights on the tree. If you are shopping for a pre-lit tree, make sure that you purchase one wherein the lights are not embedded into the branches so you can easily replace them in case some of the lights went out or if you want to replace the entire lights.
We hope that the information we have shared in this article has helped you learn more about replacing lights on your pre-lit tree. If you are interested in purchasing pre-lit and pencil artificial Christmas trees, you can check out the link at the top of this page for some of the best products that you can choose from. Thank you for reading, and have a Merry Christmas!