Transform an ordinary bandana into a functional face mask with the patterns and tutorials that we share below. Today, people are more creative in making face masks while making use of various materials and fabrics. If you have a bandana that you are no longer using, you can make that into a face mask that is both functional and stylish.
We have gathered bandana face mask patterns and tutorials for every skill level. If you know how to sew by hand or with the use of a sewing machine, we have provided sewing patterns that you can follow. On the other hand, if you do not know or do not have the time to do some sewing, we have also shared different no-sew tutorials.
This article does not contain any product recommendations. If you are interested in purchasing face masks, here’s our buying guide with products.
Making a bandana face mask is easy, and you will need just a few materials. In this article, we will share the different materials that you can use for the ear loops of the mask. Also, we share various methods of folding the bandana to create pleats.
No-Sew Bandana Face Mask with Rubber Bands
You can make a face mask with the use of two materials, which are the bandana and a pair of rubber bands. These are materials that you might readily have at home. The Craft Gossip website shares the tutorial below. The tutorial is easy to follow, and there is no need for any gluing or sewing. Check out the step-by-step instructions below.
- 2 Rubber bands
- Fold the bandana in half towards you twice.
- Take your two bands and put them around the sides of the bandana.
- Fold the left side in.
- There should be four “lines” of fabric/bandana. Find the middle.
- Next, tuck the right side of the bandana into the middle of the left side.
- Pull the bands tight and lift the mask to your face. (The side that you folded on should be the side touching your face)
- Hook the bands around your ears.
You can also check out this article on how to make a face mask with rubber bands. We have tackled the different ways to attach rubber bands into various materials of face mask.
✅ Video – DIY No Sew Face Mask Easy and Quick for Anyone
Kristin Omdahl shares the video below on her YouTube channel. She demonstrates how to make a quick and easy face mask with the use of a bandana, and rubber bands. The video tutorial is easy to follow, and in just a matter of minutes, you can make a mask that you can use when you go outside. Check out the tutorial below.
Easy Bandana Face Mask with Hair Ties
Secure the bandana face mask on your face with the use of hair ties. It is a good alternative for rubber bands or elastics. The Real Simple website shares the tutorial below. They have also included instructions on how to insert a coffee filter into the bandana for an added layer of protection. You can follow the steps to make a comfortable bandana face mask in just a few minutes. Anyone can do this simple method of making a face mask.
- Coffee filter
- 2 Hair ties
- Fold the bandana in half widthwise.
- Cut a piece of coffee filter (approximately 3-by-6 inches) and place it in the center of the folded bandana.
- Fold the top third of the bandana down, then fold the bottom third of the bandana up.
- Slide the hair ties onto either side of the folded fabric, so they are about 6 inches apart.
- Fold the ends in towards the center, tucking them in if you want.
- To put on the mask, loop the hair ties over your ears.
- Adjust the mask to make sure it covers your nose and mouth completely.
You can also check out this article that tackles how to make a face mask with hair ties. We have shared different tutorials that you can follow if you want to make a face mask, and you only have hair ties at your disposal.
✅ Video – Bandana Face Mask with Hair Ties
Vidah shares the video below on YouTube. In the video, she demonstrates how to make a face mask using a bandana and two hair ties. She also shows how to add a coffee filter into the face mask. It takes only a few minutes to make the mask, which is perfect for doing if you are in a hurry to go outside and need a face mask. Check out the tutorial below.
Bandana Face Mask with Elastics
You can also use elastic to create ear loops for the bandana face mask. The tutorial below is shared by the KRCR News website. They are using a cloth to make the face mask, but if you do not have one available at home, you can substitute it with a bandana. You will also need elastics and some sewing skills in making this mask.
- Two 6” pieces of elastic
- Needle and thread (or bobby pin)
- Sewing machine
- Cut out two 10-by-6-inch rectangles of cotton fabric. (Or measure the size on a bandana and cut it)
- Fold over the long sides, 1/4 inch and hem.
- Then fold the double layer of fabric over 1/2 inches along the short sides and stitch down.
- Run a 6-inch length of 1/8-inch wide elastic through the wider hem on each side of the mask. These will be the ear loops.
- Use a large needle or a bobby pin to thread it through.
- Tie the ends tight.
- Gently pull on the elastic to tuck the knots inside the hem.
- Gather the sides of the mask on the elastic and adjust, so the mask fits your face.
- Then securely stitch the elastic in place to keep it from slipping.
We have also written this article that tackles the best elastics for a face mask. We have gathered a list of products that you can choose from. Check out the article to find out which elastic is the best for face masks.
Filters for Bandana Face Masks
If you think that a bandana is not enough to provide protection, you can also add filters between the layers of the bandana as you fold. There are different kinds of filters that you can use and most of them can be found at home. Below are tutorials on how to make bandana face masks with filters.
Bandana and Coffee Filter Face Mask
One of the common filters that people insert into the mask is the coffee filter. The coffee filter will provide an additional layer of protection to the face mask. The tutorial below is shared by Wired and tackles how to make a bandana with coffee filter inserts. You can follow the step below.
- cone coffee filter
- Rubber bands or hair ties
- Fold the bandana square in half.
- Cut the coffee filter horizontally across the middle.
- Place the wide section of the filter in the middle of the folded bandana.
- Fold the bottom of the bandana up to the middle, covering the filter, and fold the top down over it again.
- Loop a rubber band or hair tie around each end (left and right), leaving a few inches of fabric, so each side looks like a candy wrapper.
- Fold the sides over the band so they meet in the middle and tuck them together.
- Put a band over each ear, making sure the material fits snugly to your face.
- The pressure on your face should keep the material and rubber bands in place.
We have also written this guide to coffee filter face masks. Find out why coffee filters add an extra layer of protection to face masks. We have also shared tutorials that you can follow.
✅ Video – No-Sew DIY Face Mask
The video below is shared by Chaz Rough on YouTube. The video shows how to make an easy DIY face mask. He is using a handkerchief for the mask but you can always substitute that with a bandana. After folding the handkerchief, he simply placed the coffee filter above it before tucking the ends together. You can throw away the coffee filter after use and wash the handkerchief. Watch the video for the tutorial.
Bandana and Tissue Paper Face Mask
Another filter that you can is tissue paper. You can simply insert a piece of tissue paper into the bandana face mask for an added layer of protection. Below is a tutorial shared by Country Living on how to make a no-sew face mask with a bandana. They are using a coffee filter but you can substitute it with a tissue paper. Check out the tutorial below.
- 2 rubber bands
- Cotton bandana
- Tissue Paper
- Fold the bandana in half
- Place the tissue paper in the middle of the bandana
- Fold the filter in center of the folded bandana
- Then, fold the bandana from top to down and from bottom to up
- Place rubber bands on each side about 6 inches apart
- Fold side to the middle and tuck
✅ Video – Bandana Face Mask with Tissue and Rubber Bands
The video below is shared by teppichkopf on YouTube and tackles how to make a bandana face makes with tissue paper insert. This is an economical way to make a face mask using household items. Check out the video below for the demonstration.
DIY Bandana Face Mask with Paper Towel Filter
A Paper towel is also used by many as an added filter for a face mask. You can insert a piece of paper towel into the bandana while you are folding it. The tutorial below is shared by KULR-8 website. It tackles how to make a bandana face mask with a paper towel as a filter. Check out the steps below.
- Paper towel
- 2 hair ties
- Lay your bandana out flat and fold it in half.
- Once you’ve folded it, fold your paper towel in half and lay it on top of the bandana.
- Now you want to fold your bandana in half. Basically the more layers you create the better your mask will be at blocking particles.
- Slip two hair ties on each end about six inches apart, then you’ll tuck one end into the other.
You can also check out this article that tackles how to make a face mask with a paper towel. We have shared tutorials and patterns that you can use for an easy and quick way to make a disposable face mask using paper towels.
✅ Video – Homemade Bandana Mask Using a Paper Towel as a Filter
The video below is shared by Functional Realities on YouTube. It demonstrates how to make a bandana face mask with a paper towel as a filter. It is a quick and easy way to make a face mask that you can wear when going out on a public setting. Watch the video below for the tutorial.
How to Wear Cloth Face Coverings
The following are the guidelines provided by the CDC on the proper ways to wear a face cloth covering. Make sure that you follow the guidelines when wearing your bandana face mask.
Cloth face coverings should:
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to the shape
You have reached the end of this article that tackles free bandana face mask patters and tutorials. You can choose one of the tutorials above according to your needs and preferences. The good thing about making a face mask with the use of a bandana is that it is easy to make and it takes only just a few minutes to complete. Also, most of the patterns shared are no-sew which is a plus point especially for those who are not that skilled at sewing. Thank you for reading!