Welcome to this article that tackles how to attach an elastic cord to a face mask. Due to the current pandemic, wearing face masks are considered as the new normal. For this reason, manufacturers are selling face masks that are not only functional but are also fashionable. However, most people would instead make their face masks using materials that they have at home. If you are using elastic for the ear loops, you can check out the different ways to attach it to the casing of the mask.
How do you attach an elastic cord to a face mask? The best way to attach the elastic cord into the casing of the mask is by sewing. It will make sure that the elastic is thoroughly attached to the mask and will not tear off after many uses. Another option will be to use fabric glue or stapler if you do not know how to sew elastic into the mask properly.
This article does not contain any product recommendations. If you are interested in purchasing elastics for face masks, here’s our buying guide with products.
What are the different ways to sew the elastic cord into the face mask? Is there any alternative to sewing? These are some of the questions that we will answer in this article. If you are planning to make your mask and wondering how to attach the elastic into the casing properly, you can check out below for more tips and information.
How to Attach an Elastic Cord to the Casing of the Mask by Sewing
After making the casing of the mask, you can leave a space on edge to insert the elastic cord. You can run a 6-inch length of elastic through the wider hem on each side of the mask. It will serve as the ear loops. With the use of a large needle or a bobby pin, thread the elastic through the casing. You can have the option to sew the ends of the elastic as ear loops, or you can leave it untied for over the head strap.
Steps to Attach Elastic Cord to the Casing of the Mask
KRCR News shared the tutorial below on how to attach elastic into the casing of the mask. It is an easy tutorial for those who would like to make their masks. The step-by-step instruction on how to make the main casing of the mask is also included. Check out the materials needed and the steps on how to attach the elastic below. We have also written this article about how to make an elastic face mask. You can check out the article for more tips and information about the topic.
- Two 6” pieces of elastic
- Needle and thread (or bobby pin)
- Sewing machine
- Cut out two 10-by-6-inch rectangles of cotton fabric. Use tightly woven cotton, such as quilting fabric or cotton sheets.
- Stack the two rectangles; you will sew the mask as if it was a single piece of fabric.
- Fold over the long sides 1/4 inch and hem. Then fold the double layer of fabric over 1/2 inch along the short sides and stitch down.
- Run a 6-inch length of 1/8-inch wide elastic through the wider hem on each side of the mask. These will be the ear loops.
- Use a large needle or a bobby pin to thread it through. Tie the ends tight.
- Gently pull on the elastic so that the knots are tucked inside the hem. Gather the sides of the mask on the elastic and adjust, so the mask fits your face.
- Then securely stitch the elastic in place to keep it from slipping.
✅ Video – Inserting ¼ Inch Elastic for Face Mask
SewInGenius shared the video below on her YouTube channel. She demonstrates how to insert 1/4 inch elastic into the face mask. In the video, she shows a way to put the elastic in before sewing the casing. You will need to overlap the ends of the elastic and sew them together. She also shared a cool tip on how to hold the ends of the elastic in place while you sew them.
Sewing Elastic Cord to the Edges of the Mask
Another option that you can have to attach the elastic cord into the mask is to attach them to the edges of the casing. You will need to leave a space at the edges of the mask where you will sew the elastic. Place the elastic at each corner with the elastic loop between the two pieces of fabric. Pin the fabric with the elastic and sew the edge out into the corner. A few forward and backward stitches will hold the elastic in place and prevent it from easily tearing off. You can also check out this article that we have written on how to make an elastic face mask. We have shared tutorials that you can refer to when making your mask using elastic.
How to Sew Elastic Cord to the Edges of the Mask
The Wyoming Medical Center shared the tutorial below about how to sew the elastic to the edges of the mask. They also included the step-by-step instruction on how to make the casing of the mask. This DIY method takes 30 minutes to finish depending on your skill level. You will need a few materials that you can easily find at home. Check out the tutorial below.
- 1/3 yard of 100% Cotton fabric
- 14” Rope Elastic, beading cord elastic will work (you may also use up to 1/4” flat elastic
- Put right sides of the cotton fabric together Cut 9×6 (Adult) or 7.5 x 5 (Child)
- Lay-out the two pieces and mark four sets of lines.
- Cut two pieces of elastic with 7 inches length and 1/8 inches width.
- Match top line to its counterpart to make a fold and pin the edge.
- Sew a baste along the edges to hold the folds and then attach the binding
- With the two sides together inside facing each other, place the elastic at each corner with the elastic loop between the two pieces of fabric. Pin the elastic to hold. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
- Place the ends of elastic loops and sew before turning the mask inside out.
- Sew the edges of the mask.
- Topstitch around the edge of the mask twice.
✅ Video – Make Fabric Face Mask with Elastic
Cristina Antoniuc shared the video below on how to make a fabric face mask with elastic ear loops. The washable and reusable face mask can be done in five minutes. She has included the detail on how to cut and sew the mask. Check out the video below for a visual demonstration.
Attach Elastic Cord to Face Mask Using Glue
If you do not know how to sew, you can attach the elastic cord into the mask with the use of glue. You can use fabric glue, or if you do not have one at home, you can also use fabric glue. It is an easy way to attach the elastic cord into the casing of the mask without sewing. However, you need to use the best glue that you can find on the market. Also, you need to be careful when washing the mask because the glue might lose its stickiness, and the elastic will tear off.
✅ Video – How to Attach Elastic Cord to Face Mask Using Glue
Raphaela Laurean shared the video below on how to make a no-sew DIY face mask. It is an easy tutorial that you can follow when you do not have the skills or time to sew a mask. She is using adhesive tapes to attach the fabrics of the mask. To attach the elastic, she uses hot glue. Check out the video demonstration for the step-by-step tutorial.
Attach Elastic Cord into Mask Using Stapler
This option is ideal if you already have an existing face mask casing. Using a stapler is a fast and easy alternative to sewing. Place the elastic on the casing of the mask and center a stapler over the elastic. Staple through all the layers, but make sure that you do not staple through the elastic. It only takes a few minutes to do. Make sure that you remove the stapler before washing the mask. You can also check out this article about the different kinds of elastic used for face masks. We have discussed the three common elastics for homemade face masks.
How to Staple Elastic Cord into the Mask
Lazy Girl Designs shared the tutorial below on how to staple the elastic cord into the mask. You can use this technique if you want to replace or customize the loops of your existing mask. Simply cut away the existing elastic and replace it with a new one. You can also convert the ear loops to a head loop by using longer elastic. Check out the tutorial below.
- Face Mask
- Cut one end of the ear loop at the edge of the face mask.
- Position the end of the elastic past the edge of the mask. Place a scrap of paper behind the face mask for support.
- Center a stapler over the elastic and staple through all layers. Be sure not to staple through the elastic.
- Fold elastic away from the mask and align with the cut end. Staple again between the first staple and the edge of the mask. Be sure not to staple through the elastic.
- To test, pull on the cut end of elastic to make sure the elastic slides through the staples, and there is enough resistance to hold the elastic in place once adjusted.
- Remove staples and redo if necessary to get excellent resistance and a proper fit.
What Kind of Elastic Should I Use?
You can use any kind of elastic that you prefer for the mask that you are making. Just make sure that the elastic is made from high-quality materials and durable. You can compare products online to get the best choice.
How Long Should the Elastic Be?
There is no standard length for elastics when making face masks. Some people consider 7 inches as an ideal length for ear loops and 23 inches long for head loops. For more information about the perfect length of elastic on masks, you can check out this article about how long should the elastic be on a face mask? We have shared various options that you might consider when making DIY face masks.
What Alternatives Can I Use if I Do Not Have Elastics?
You can use various materials like ribbons, yarns, rubber bands, bias tape, and even shoelaces. We have also written this article titled What can I use instead of elastic for a face mask? We have talked about the different alternatives that you can use.
Thank you for reading this article about how to attach an elastic cord to a face mask. As we have discussed above, there are different ways to attach the elastic into the casing of the mask. You can sew the elastic if you know to sew; otherwise, you can use glue or stapler to attach the elastic into the mask. If you are interested in purchasing elastics, you can check out the link at the tip of this post for a list of the best products that you can buy.