In this article, we will talk about how to make an elastic face mask. Masks are considered as the new normal, and people are required to wear them when going out in a public area. Because of this, face masks are in demand in the market. If you are interested in making your mask, you can refer to the tips and tutorial below. We have shared different ways on how to make an elastic face mask for every skill level.
How do you make an elastic face mask? You can make an elastic face mask by attaching elastics into the casing of the mask. There are different kinds of elastics available, and the ones that can be cut down into smaller sizes without unraveling are knit elastics. There are sewn and no-sew patterns that you can follow. You can also experiment and be as creative as you like when making face masks.
This article does not contain any product recommendations. If you are interested in purchasing elastics for face masks, here’s our buying guide with products.
How can you make an elastic face mask for adults? What are the best ways to make elastic face masks for children? Can I make elastic face masks without a sewing machine? These are some of the questions that we will discuss in this article. Read the rest of the article below and learn about the different ways on how to make an elastic face masks.
How to Make an Elastic Face Mask for Adults
You need to be specific when making an elastic face mask for adults. Because the mask is for adults, it should be a bit bigger. Some consider 9″ by 7″ as an ideal size for an adult face mask. You also need 7″ long elastics. Make sure to adjust the size of the mask according to the face of the wearer. There are many patterns that you can download online. Make sure that you sew carefully so that the mask will not quickly get damaged.
Tutorial on How to Make Adult Elastic Face Mask
Good Housekeeping shared the tutorial below on how to make an adult elastic face mask. It is an easy project that you can do with the use of a sewing machine. You will need a few materials to make the mask. If you want, you can recycle the materials that you have at home. If you have a cotton t-shirt or bandana that you are no longer using, you can recycle them to a stylish face mask. Check out the materials needed and steps on how to make the mask below. We have also written this article about the different kinds of elastic for face masks. We have talked about the three elastics that are commonly used when making face masks.
- Two pieces 9 “x7” cotton fabric
- Two pieces 6″ long elastic
- Cut two layers of 9 “x7” cotton fabric and one layer of 9 “x7” non-woven interfacing.
- Then, cut two 6″ pieces of elastic (Note: Tubular elastic is best, but 1/8″ elastic also works.)
- Stack the layers of fabric, with the face of the fabrics facing each other and the filter layer on top.
- Insert elastic between the top and lining layers 1/2″ from the top on the short sides, then pin.
- Stitch both short sides with 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Sew top seam at 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Center nose piece in the top seam allowance and stitch down.
- Pin bottom, leaving 2-3″ open at the center.
- Sew both sides of the bottom from one part of the seam to the pin and backstitch. Make sure not to pin the center gap.
- Clip all four corners at an angle without cutting the stitch lines. Turn right side out.
- Pull corners out, so mask forms a rectangle.
- Fold bottom opening into the same point as seam allowance. Press all four sides.
- Fold in half (top to bottom) then press. Next, fold with top and bottom meeting at the centerfold, then press.
- Start from the top and take press fold to halfway to the next fold line and pin.
- Continue for all three pleats, then press with iron Sew 1/4″ topstitch around the entire mask, making sure to close the bottom opening. Press pleats.
✅ Video – Two Styles DIY Face Mask
Millie and Chloe shared the video tutorial below on YouTube on how to make DIY face masks. She shared two styles of face mask. For the first mask, she also inserted the elastic into the casing. On the second mask, she has sewn the elastic into the edges of the mask. Check out the video below for a visual demonstration.
How to Make an Elastic Mask for Children
Children are smaller than adults, so it is easier to make a face mask for them. For kids ages 2-6, you can use 8″ by 6″ fabric and 5″ elastics. On the other hand, for kids ages 7-14, you can use 8.5″ by 6.5″ fabric with 5.5″ elastics. Make sure to adjust the size of the mask according to the Face of the wearer. You can use t-shirts to make a mask rather than a pillowcase or bandana. Another option would be to use tightly-woven fabrics. You can also check out this article about the best width of elastic for a face mask. We have discussed the different widths of elastics that you can use for making face masks.
How to Make Children’s Elastic Face Mask
Valley Children’s Healthcare shared the tutorial below on how to make an elastic face mask for children. It is an easy pattern that you can follow when making children’s face mask. You can always adjust the size of the fabric and elastic according to the size of your child’s face. Make sure to measure the fit of the mask so that it will thoroughly cover the nose and mouth area of the wearer. Check out the tutorial below.
- Cotton fabric, tightly woven
- 1/8″ elastic
- For a child-size mask, cut one fabric rectangle 14″ long and 6.5″ wide. Then, cut two pieces of elastic, each 6″ long.
- Fold the fabric in half, with the right sides facing.
- Sew along the 8.5″ width edge, using a 5/8″ seam allowance. Leave a 3″ opening in the center of this seam to create an opening for the filter pocket, and to allow the mask to be turned right side out after sewing.
- Press the seam open. Topstitch/zigzag stitch along both sides of the seam for a neater edge.
- Pin one piece of elastic to each side of the mask, one end to the top corner and one end to the bottom corner.
- Sew the sides of the facemask—Backstitch over the elastic or fabric ties to secure them.
- Clip the corners, turn the mask right side out, and press with an iron.
- Create three evenly spaced 1/2″ pleats. Pin the folds in place, making sure all pleats are facing the same direction. Sew down each side to secure the pleats.
✅ Video – How to Sew 3D Face Mask for Kids
Fashion&Style Explorer shared the video below on YouTube. It shows how to sew a 3D face mask for kids. The cute design of the mask is perfect for kids. It also comes with a pocket filter for an extra layer of protection. The measurement that she is using is based on her daughter’s measurement. You can always adjust the measurement to fit your child’s face. Check out the video below for the demonstration.
How to Sew an Elastic Face Mask
One of the ways to make an elastic face mask is by sewing. If you are skilled or have knowledge of sewing, then you can easily make an elastic face mask. It takes just a few minutes to make the mask depending on the style and pattern that you are using. A simple face mask with elastics will take less than five minutes to make. You can also add pleats, pockets, and nose bridge clip as additional features. We have also written this article about how to attach an elastic cord to a face mask. Check out the different ways that you follow for no-sew face masks.
Tutorial on How to Sew an Elastic Mask
The Deaconess shared the tutorial below on how to sew an elastic face mask. They have provided sizes for kids and adults. You can use rope elastic, beading cord elastic, or flat elastic for the ear loops. Make sure that any fabric that you use is placed horizontally. The face mask is easy to make and only requires a few materials.
- Cotton fabric
- Rope Elastic, beading cord elastic will work (you may also use 1/8” flat elastic)
- Cut the elastic 7” long and tie a knot at each end (DO NOT knot the ends of the flat)
- Put the right sides of the cotton fabric together. Cut 9×6 (Adult) or 7.5 x 5 (Child).
- Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner, stop. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
- Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
- Now sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. Again put elastic with the edge out.
- Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
- Next, sew across the bottom, leaving about 1.5” to 2” open. Stop and cut the thread. Turn inside out.
- Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are in the same direction.
- Sew around the edge of the mask twice.
✅ Video – How to Sew a Medical Face Mask
Erica Arndt shared the video below on her YouTube channel. She is using two different pieces of 100% cotton fabric for the main casing of the mask. One piece of cotton flannel or cotton fabric is added for the lining. The pleated face mask is easy to make and also stylish. Click the play button below for the visual demonstration.
Hand-Sewn Elastic Face Mask
If you do not have a sewing machine at home, you can still make an elastic face mask. You can sew the mask by hand. Simply assemble the face mask and sew it by hand. Most people find it easier to hand-stitch the elastic into the mask because they can easily hold the ends of the elastic. There are many patterns and tutorials for hand-sewn face masks that you can find online.
✅ Video – Hand-Sewn Face Mask with Filter Pocket
Nanay Express shared the video below on her YouTube channel. It shows how to make a hand-sewn DIY face mask with a filter pocket. This DIY is ideal for those who do not have a sewing machine at home. She also shared how she made the pattern for the mask. Check out the video below for the tutorial.
What Stitch Should I Use When Sewing Elastic to the Fabric?
Stitch the elastic to the fabric using a zigzag stitch of 3.5 wide and 1.4 lengths. As you stitch, make sure that you stretch the elastic so that it matches the length of the fabric. Do this only if you will sew the elastic along with the casing of the face mask.
What is the Best Kind of Elastic for Fabric?
The best kind of elastic for fabric is the knit elastic. Knit elastics do not unravel so that you can cut them into any lengths. You can even cut them horizontally so that they became thinner. We have also written this article about the best black elastic for face masks. Check out the different black elastics that are available on the market.
Where Can I Purchase Elastics for Face Masks?
You can purchase elastics at your local craft store. If you want a wide array of choices that you can compare, you can also buy online. Check out the different products so that you can have an idea of the different types of elastics that you can use for the face masks.
You have reached the end of this post about how to make an elastic face mask. Above are the four ways that you can follow when making a face mask. You can always adjust the size of the mask according to the wearer. Children’s masks are smaller as compared to adults. The size of the mask is essential to make sure that it perfectly fits into the wearer’s face. You can check out the link at the top of this post for the different kinds of elastics that you can use for face masks. Thank you for reading!