This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
More and more people are wearing neoprene face masks, and this leads to a surge in interest regarding how to clean and disinfect the mask, as well as Google searches for “How do you wash a neoprene mask?” You must wash the mask properly to eliminate any dirt, germs, and viruses accumulated in the mask.
How do you wash a neoprene mask? The neoprene mask can be machine washed or hand washed. Wash the mask in lukewarm water using a mild detergent. Avoid scrubbing mask to prevent any tear or damage. If there is a stain, you get rid of it by putting some soap in the area and soak it up for a bit before rinsing.
What is the proper way to wash and rinse the neoprene mask? What are the things that you need to avoid doing while washing the mask? These are some of the questions that we will talk about in this article. Check out the rest of the post below for more tips and information.
How to Wash Neoprene Mask Using Soap and Water
A common and also the easiest way to wash a neoprene mask is to use soap and water. If there are any stains on the mask, wipe it with a damp cloth. Below are the steps on how to clean a neoprene mask with soap and water.
- Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water.
- You can use a handwashing soap, mild liquid soap, or a bar of mild soap.
- When using bar soap, drop the soap into the lukewarm water and allow the solution to become soapy. If you use liquid soap, squirt a few drops of the soap into the bowl of lukewarm water and mix them.
- Dip an old toothbrush into the solution and gently scrub the face mask. Ensure that you are very careful when rubbing the mask so you will not destroy or damage the fabric.
- Once the neoprene mask is clean, remove excess soap by running it under cold water. Continue to wash until the water runs clear.
- Lay the mask on a flat surface and allow it to dry naturally. Avoid using a dryer or clothespin for drying because it can stretch the material and damage the mask.
✅ Video – How to Wash Face Mask
Crochet Mama shares the video below on YouTube. It talks about how to wash a face mask by hand. We search the internet, and unfortunately, there are no available videos on how to wash a neoprene face mask. However, we have found this video that uses the same steps above when cleaning the face mask. You can watch the video for a visual demonstration.
How to Wash Neoprene Mask in a Washing Machine
You can also wash the neoprene mask in a washing machine. On the other hand, do not wash it for a full cycle. Instead, allow the washing machine to mix up the detergent and water, and then soak the mask for a while. Below are the steps on how to wash a neoprene mask in a washing machine.
- Fill the washing machine with lukewarm water.
- Put the right amount of mild detergent into the washing machine. Allow water and detergent to mix up during a cycle.
- Add the neoprene mask into the washing machine and leave it to soak for a few minutes.
- Choose a gentle setting and run the washing machine for a short cycle.
- Once the short cycle is completed, remove the neoprene mask and rinse it out under cold water.
- Allow the mask to air dry naturally. Avoid putting the mask under direct sunlight because this can damage the fabric.
How to Wash Neoprene Mask Using Vinegar
You can wash the neoprene mask using vinegar in case of any stains and remove odor. Use a diluted solution of vinegar and water to wash the neoprene mask. Below are the steps on how to wash a neoprene mask using vinegar.
- Fill a spray bottle with equal parts of lukewarm water and white distilled vinegar. Mix the solution well.
- Spray the neoprene mask directly with the vinegar and water solution.
- Allow the solution to soak for ten minutes.
- Rinse the mask in cold water until the neoprene is completely clean.
- Airy dry the neoprene mask. Do not place it under direct sunlight or dryer because it can damage the fabric.
How to Wash Neoprene Masks with Valve and Filter
You can wash neoprene masks with a valve and filter, but you should wash it by hand. Machine washing can be vigorous and can damage the valve and filter of the mask. Be careful in using washing powders because some can contain fragrance additives that the filter can pick up. Below are the steps on how to wash neoprene masks with a valve and filter.
- First, remove the filter and the valve from the neoprene mask.
- Place the valves and filter in a pan of lukewarm water.
- Remove the filter unit and let it dry.
- Wash the mask cover carefully in lukewarm soapy water and let it dry naturally.
Things to Avoid When Washing Neoprene Mask
Neoprene can easily tear, so you need to make sure that you are careful when scrubbing and washing the mask. Also, do not allow neoprene to remain wet for too long because mildew can form. Below are what you need to avoid to keep your neoprene mask intact, safe, and undamaged.
Do not Use Hot Water.
Never use hot water when washing neoprene masks because it can cause damage to the fabric. When soaked in hot water, neoprene loses some of its elasticity. You can use lukewarm water and soap when washing the mask, rinse it off with cold water.
Avoid Drying Under Direct Sunlight
Neoprene masks should be air-dried indoors. Do not dry the mask under sunlight just like any normal clothes because UV rays from the sun can cause the neoprene to age quickly. As a result, the mask can get hard and lose its flexibility.
Do Not Place it in the Dryer
Avoid putting a neoprene mask in the dryer. Heat is not good for neoprene. The best way to dry it is to let it air dry in the shade.
Do Not Squeeze Out the Water
DO not squeeze the fabric to get the water out because this can damage the neoprene structure. Squeezing or wringing the mask can cause tears and also affect its flexibility.
Avoid Using Harsh Chemicals
Make sure that you carefully choose the chemicals that you use when cleaning neoprene masks. Avoid using harsh household products and stick to specific cleaners made for neoprene fabric. You can also use mild liquid or bar soap when washing the mask.
Can You Wash Neoprene in a Laundry Machine?
Yes, you can use a laundry machine to wash the neoprene mask, but make sure that you put it in a delicate setting. Use cold water and immediately remove the mask after the laundry cycle to prevent creasing. We have also written this article titled; can you use neoprene for a face mask? We discussed why neoprene makes an excellent material for a face mask.
What Would I Do if Odor Develops?
You can use a deodorizer specifically made for the neoprene to get rid of the smell. The deodorizers will utilize enzymes and odor-eating microbes to get rid of the bad odor and their source. Wearing your neoprene mask while running or doing other outdoor activities can transfer the sweat from your skin into the mask, causing the odor. Odor can also develop if you forgot to clean completely dry the mask before storing it. Oils that come from human skin can damage the neoprene in the long run. You can also check out this article titled, is neoprene mask breathable. We have discussed the breathability of neoprene and if it is comfortable to wear for a face mask.
Can Neoprene Mask Shrink?
Neoprene masks can shrink and degrade in both flexibility and rigidity due to various reasons. Eventually, you will need to replace the mask. On the other hand, the shrinkage of the neoprene masks is a prolonged process. With proper care and usage, you can use the mask for a long time.
We hope that this article answers your questions regarding “how do you wash a neoprene mask?” There are different ways wherein you can wash a neoprene face mask. Take note of the washing instructions that we have shared above when washing and cleaning your masks. Moreover, bear in mind what you need to avoid when washing neoprene masks, like putting it in a dryer or drying them under direct sunlight.
If you are interested in purchasing neoprene face masks, you can click the link to our buying guide with products at the top of this article. Thank you for reading!