In this article, we will tackle how to make a face mask with elastic. One of the easiest materials to use when making face masks is elastic. They are easy to find and provides the best elasticity to secure the mask on your face. There are different sizes of elastics that are available on the market. Choose the one that will work best for the face mask that you will make.
How to make a face mask with elastic? You can find sew and no-sew patterns for making face masks with elastics. You will need two pieces of elastics with equal length. Simply attach them into each side of the face mask by sewing. You can choose a pattern according to your sewing skills. If you do not know how to sew, you can also attach the elastic with glue or staple it to the fabric.
This article does not contain any product recommendations. If you are interested in purchasing face masks, here’s our buying guide with products.
What are the different patterns that you can follow to make a face mask with elastic? What are the materials that will work best with elastics? Check out the rest of the article below for helpful patterns and tutorials that you can follow when making face masks using elastics.
Face Mask with Elastic Loops
Many kinds of material can work well with elastics and one that is cotton. You can make use of a cotton t-shirt or, handkerchiefs, or pillowcases. For the elastics, you can purchase one used for sewing. There are also elastics for face masks sold on the market. Choose a size that you find comfortable to wear.
How to Make a Face Mask with Elastic Loops
The Wyoming Medical Center shared a tutorial on how to make a face mask with elastic loops. They have provided tutorials for both adult and child sizes. This face mask is easy to do and will take up to 30 minutes, depending on your skills. Check out the materials needed and the steps to make the face mask below.
- 1/3 yard of 100% Cotton fabric
- 14” Rope Elastic, beading cord elastic will work (you may also use up to 1/4” flat elastic)
- Put right sides of the cotton fabric together Cut 10 x 15 (Adult) or 7.5 x 5 (Child).
- Lay the two pieces and mark four sets of lines.
- Match top line to its counterpart to make a fold and pin the edge.
- Sew a baste along the edges to hold the folds and then attach the binding.
- With the two sides together inside facing each other, place the elastic at each corner with the elastic loop between the two pieces of fabric. Pin it to hold.
- Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
- Place ends of elastic loops and then sew it before turning the mask inside out.
✅ Video – Tutorial on How to Sew a Face Mask
Erica Arndt shared the video below on YouTube. It tackles how to sew a medical face mask. She has also shared a pattern of the face mask on the description. If you know how to sew, then this project will be easy for you to make. Check out the video for the tutorial below.
Adjustable Elastic Ear Loops
One of the struggles of wearing face masks is to get the right fit for your face. To make sure that the face mask will fit properly, you can make adjustable ear loops. If you already have an existing face mask, you can replace the ear loops into an adjustable one. Simply cut away the existing elastic and attach the new ones. You can also convert the ear loop into an adjustable head loop.
You can also check out this article about the best black elastic for face masks. We have shared a list of products that you can use for your homemade face masks.
How to Make a Face Mask with Adjustable Elastic Ear Loops
Joan of the Lazy Girl website shared a tutorial on how to make a face mask with adjustable ear loops. For the tutorial, she is using an existing mask and replacing the ear loops into an adjustable one. According to her, the elastic should be cut longer than needed. Check out the steps on how to make the elastic ear loops below.
- Scrap paper
- Cut one end of the ear loop at the edge of the face mask.
- Position the end of the elastic past the edge of the mask. Place a scrap of paper behind the face mask for support.
- Center a stapler over the elastic and staple through all layers. Be sure not to staple through the elastic.
- Fold elastic away from the mask and align with the cut end.
- Staple again between the first staple and the edge of the mask. Be sure not to staple through the elastic.
- To test, pull on the cut end of elastic to make sure the elastic slides through the staples, and there is enough resistance to hold the elastic in place once adjusted.
- Remove staples and redo if necessary to get excellent resistance and a proper fit.
✅ Video – How to Make an Adjustable Elastic Mask Strap
IThinkSew shared the video below on YouTube. It demonstrates how to make an adjustable elastic mask strap. If you already have an existing face mask, you can easily cut the elastic and replace it with an adjustable one. Watch the video for the demonstration.
Homemade Mask with Elastic
You can easily make a face mask with elastic at home. If you have pieces of fabrics that you use for your crafts, you can use that to make face masks. You can easily purchase elastics online. There is no need to visit a craft store because there is a wide array of elastics sold online. Choose from the different sizes, colors, and patterns that you would like to have for your face mask.
How to Make a Homemade Face Mask with Elastic
Melanie shared a tutorial on her website on how to make a homemade face mask with elastic. The face mask is easy to make and features elastic that goes over the ears. It only takes up to ten minutes to create the face mask. Of course, the time that it takes to finish making the mask will depend on your sewing skills. Check out the tutorial below.
- 9 x 6-inch Color A
- 9 x 6-inch Color B
- Two pieces of elastic 6.5-7 inches each
- Polyester coordinating thread
- Place fabric pieces right sides together and clip elastic into the corners on the short side.
- Sew around the rectangles using a 1/2 inch seam allowance leaving a whole to flip right side out. Note: backstitch well over elastic in corners.
- Trim corners to reduce bulk, flip right side out, and press.
- Create three pleats and clips into place by eyeballing the measurement OR make three marks and use the seam to create pleat as you sew down. Backstitch over pleats to make sure they are strong.
- Sew around the rest of the mask, trim threads.
✅ Video – DIY Face Mask in 10 Minutes
Melanie shares the video below on her YouTube channel. She demonstrates how to make a homemade face mask with elastics following the steps above. If you want a visual demonstration, then you can watch the video below.
Face Mask with ¼ Inches Elastic
If you are specific with the size of elastic that you are going to use, you can choose ¼ inches elastic. It is one of the typical sizes of elastic that people are using when making homemade face masks. You can purchase at your local craft store, or you can also check online stores for products that they offer. There are many sizes and colors that you can choose from.
How to Make Fabric Face Mask with ¼ Inches Elastic
Kate shared a tutorial on her website that tackles how to make a fabric face mask with ¼ inches elastic. Using two materials, you can start making a functional face mask that you can wear every time you go out in a public setting. You will need some knowledge of sewing when making this mask. Check out the steps on how to make the mask below.
- Quilting cotton fabric
- 1/4″ braided elastic
- Cut two lengths of 1/4″ elastic 14″ each.
- Pin one length at the top corners of the fabric and there other at the bottom.
- Lay the second piece of fabric face down. Sew around all edges with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a small opening to turn.
- Turn, press, and create pleats according to the pattern piece.
- Sew pleats down and backstitch. This stitching will also close the opening that you left.
✅ Video – Inserting ¼ Elastic for Face Mask
SewInGenius shared the video below on how to insert ¼ elastic into the face mask. In the video, she shows how to put the elastic before closing the casing of the mask. She also teaches a cool trick for holding the ends of the mask in place while you sew. Check out the video below.
Face Mask with Elastic Cording
You can also make a homemade face mask with the use of elastic cording that you can purchase in any craft store. You can also check out online stores for a wide array of options. This kind of elastic is thinner and more comfortable to wear. They do not put a lot of pressure behind the ears, and they are also easy to work with.
How to Make a Face Mask with Elastic Cording
Kate shared another tutorial on her See Kate Sew website. This one tackles how to make a face mask using elastic cording. According to her, the face mask is fast to make with the use of an elastic gathering technique. Check out the materials needed and the steps on how to make the face mask below.
- Quilting cotton fabric
- Elastic cording
- Cut two squares from the pattern and sew together with the right sides together.
- Use a 1/4″ seam allowance all the way around, leaving a small opening on one side to turn.
- Turn right side out and press. Press under both sides 3/8″ and sew in place.
- Thread 7″ of round elastic through the opening using a large embroidery/yarn needle.
- Tie the elastic together.
- Spin the elastic around, so the knot is inside the casing.
- Gather the fabric with the elastic. Sew in place at the top and bottom of the mask to hold.
✅ Video – Face Mask Using Braided Bracelet Cord Elastic
Laura shared the video below on how to make a face mask using braided bracelet cord elastic. According to her, it is a great alternative that you can use if you do not have elastic at home. The cord elastic works great and also comfortable around the ears.
Hand-Sewn Face Mask with Elastic
If you do not have a sewing machine at home, you can still make a face mask by sewing it by hand. You can attach the elastic into the fabric using a simple sewing method. Any stitch will do, but make sure that the elastic is secured on the material so that it will not easily tear when used.
How to Make a Face Mask with Elastic without Sewing Machine
Toms Guide shared a tutorial about how to make a no-sew face mask with elastics. They are using a dish towel that is 100% cotton for the fabric of the face mask. It is an easy DIY face mask that you can do at home. Check out the tutorial below.
- Needle and thread
- 20 x 20 inches of 100% cotton fabric, like a dishtowel (pre-washed)
- Four elastic strings at least four inches long (pre-washed)
- Cut out four pieces of fabric using the template.
- Take two pieces and sew the curved sides together to create the front side of the mask.
- Repeat with the other two pieces for the backside of the mask.
- Place one side of the mask on a table, seam-side down.
- Lay the four elastic strings on the corners, leaving the ends peeking a little over the cloth edge.
- Sew the elastics in place.
- Pull all four ribbons over to the right side.
- Lay the other side of the mask on top, seam-side up, to sandwich the elastics.
- Sew the top, left and bottom sides of the mask. Leave the right side (where the elastic are un-sewn).
- Turn the mask inside out by pulling the elastics through the hole on the right side. Now, sew the right side to close the hole.
- Tie the elastic strings together to fit over your ears. Adjust as necessary.
✅ Video – Make a Face Mask Without Sewing Machine
Erika Rodriguez shared the video below on her YouTube channel. She tackled how to make a face mask without a sewing machine. What she did is to sew the face mask by hand. This face mask is easy to do and is also helpful if you want to make a mask, but you do not have a sewing machine at home. Check out the demonstration below.
What is the Best Elastic for Face Mask?
The best kinds of elastics for face masks should be durable and flexible. It should stretch and go back to its original shape after use. Moreover, it should be comfortable to wear and will not irritate your ears. You can use many kinds of elastics for a face mask. You can find a wide array of sizes, colors, and styles that are available. Choose elastic according to your needs and preferences.
You can also check out this article that we have written about the best elastics for face masks. We have gathered a list of the best products that you can choose from. Moreover, we have shared tips on how you can select the right product.
How to Attach an Elastic Cord to a Face Mask?
The elastic cord can be easily attached to the face mask by sewing. You can either use a sewing machine or sew the elastic into the face mask by hand. If you do not know how to sew, you can staple the elastic into the mask to secure it, or you can also use glue. You can also check out this article that tackles the best nose bridge wires for face masks. We have discussed the importance of nose wires for masks. We have also shared a list of the best products that you can choose from.
Will Elastics Hurt My Ears?
The pressure from the elastics can hurt your ears. Wearing the face mask for a long time can cause discomfort, especially behind the ears where the ear loops are. To avoid this, you can wear face mask extenders or straps. They are tools that will help extend the elastic ear loops for a more comfortable fit. Check out this article that tackles the best face mask extenders. We have reviewed products to help you make the best decision when purchasing a face mask extender.
You have reached the end of this article that tackles how to make a face mask with elastic. We hope that the tutorials and patterns that we shared in this article will help you in making a face mask are both functional and durable. You can choose from a wide array of elastics that are available. You can be as creative as you like when making homemade face masks with elastic. Thank you for reading!