Learn how to make a face mask with ties using materials that you already have at home. When making a face mask, you need to make sure that it fits in your face and will not easily fall off. You can do this by attaching ties or ear loops into the face masks. There should be no gaps between the mask and your face for the virus to get through. Homemade face masks are usually made of reusable and washable cloth and fabrics. You can create one with filter pockets for an added level of protection.
This article does not contain any product recommendations. If you are interested in purchasing face masks, here’s our buying guide with products.
How to make a face mask with ties? If you are a crafty person and know how to sew, you can use your skills to make face masks with ties that you can wear when you go out in a public setting. You can be as creative as you like when creating the mask. You can embellish them for a more attractive look. If you do not know how to sew, there are patterns and materials that you can use for a quick and easy face mask.
To help you get started, we have shared tutorials and patterns on how to make a face mask with ties. We have shared patterns for both sewn and no-sew face masks. You do not have to worry if you do not know how to sew because we have shared tutorials for every skill level. When making ties, you can use various materials like fabrics, ribbons, rubber bands, and elastics. We will tackle each of the materials that you can use below.
Face Mask with Fabric Ties
One way to make a tie for the face mask is to use fabric strips. You can easily cut a strip from the same fabric that you use in creating the mask or you can choose a different one. You will need to sew the fabric into the mask by hand or using a sewing machine. The tutorial below is shared by the Deaconess site. It tackles how to make a mask with ties using cotton fabrics and strips. Check out the tutorial below.
- One 8×14 inch piece of cotton fabric
- Two 1.5×34 inch strips
- Thread & sewing machine
- On 8/14 inch piece, right sides together, sew ¼ inch seam, creating a tube. (Turn right sides out, press seam and fabric)
- Make 3 pleats, approx. 1 inch each in size, using steam or pins to hold. (Mask will be approx. 3-3.5inches in width)
- Sew ¼ inch seam on each side of the mask, securing pleats. (Trim seam allowance)
- Fold the fabric strips in half and press. (3/4 inch) (Open tie back up)
- Fold each edge in to meet the middle. (3/8 inch/0.375 inch) and press.
- Fold in half again, securing raw edges inside and press. (Each tie will be approx. 3/8inch in width)
- Align the center of the tie with the side of the mask, open tie so the edge of the mask fits snugly inside. Pin.
- Sew tie to mask. (seam will be very short, get as close as able while still catching all fabric)
- Repeat for other tie and another side of the mask.
- Sew down edges of the tie, securing raw edges inside. The seam is very short. You will stitch over where the mask is already attached. This is good because it helps reinforce.
- Repeat for other tie and another side of the mask.
✅ Video – How to Sew a Face Mask with Fabric Ties
The video below is shared by Erica Arndt on her YouTube channel. It is a tutorial on how to make a mask using cotton fabrics and fabric strips for the ties. She also shared alternative sizes to choose from. Erica demonstrates how to cut, sew, and attach the fabric ties into the mask. Check out the tutorial video below.
DIY Face Mask with Adjustable Yarn Ties
You can use various kinds of materials for the ties of the face mask as long as it will secure the mask on your face and comfortable to use. Another material that you can use is yarn. The Lazy Dayz shared on YouTube how to make a mask with yarn ties. The ties that she is using for the mask is an 8.8 oz yarn used for crochet or knitting. The ties can fit all sizes, and because it is from soft material, it is comfortable to wear. It is a good alternative if you do not have elastics or rubber bands on hand. Check out the video below for the tutorial.
✅ Video – Adjustable Face Mask Straps
The video below is a tutorial shared by The Lazy Dayz on YouTube. It tackles how to make face mask ties or straps with the use of soft yarn. On a 12 inch piece of yarn, she made a “double hand over knot.” Then, on the 6-inch piece of yarn, she made a “slip knot,” usually used in crocheting. Watch the video below to find out how she tied the two yarns together to form an adjustable tie and how to sew the ties on the mask.
Face Mask with Filter Pocket and Ribbon Ties
Another material that you can use for the tie of the face mask is ribbons. As compared to elastic ties, ribbons are easier to adjust so the mask can fit any adult. Moreover, ribbons are comfortable and gentle to the skin. The Jennifer Maker site shares how to make face masks with filter pockets and adjustable ties. She has shared a pattern that you can download and print on the website. Check out the steps in making the mask below.
- Tightly woven Cotton or Cotton Blend Fabric (a quarter of a yard) for the first two layers
- Heavyweight T-shirt (for the third layer)
- 1/4″ – 3/8″ ribbon or ties (at least 72 inches)
- Cut out the DIY face mask pattern pieces from the fabric.
- Take your fabric pieces and line up the two halves of each set, right sides together, and sew along the curved outer edge, attaching the two pieces together.
- Do the same thing for all matching sets until they are all attached along the curved edge.
- Set your iron to the cotton setting and press your seams open and flat on all pieces except the filter piece.
- For the filter pocket layer in your DIY face mask, fold over one end of the pocket layer TWICE about 1/2″ with each fold.
- Place your filter pocket fabric layer inside your inner fabric layer, the right side of the inner layer against the wrong side of the pocket layer.
- Sew your folded edge to keep it folded.
- Cut four 18″ pieces of ribbon or string or whatever you have that is strong and NOT stretchy.
- Pin one ribbon to each corner of your inner fabric layer about 3/8″ down.
- Baste each ribbon in place with a sewing machine or needle & thread.
- Place your outer fabric layer on top of your inner fabric layer, right sides together.
- Tuck your ribbons inside to make sure you don’t “catch” them while sewing your pieces together.
- Sew around the top, edge, and bottom of the face mask layers, 3/8″ from the edge, leaving one side open.
- Clip each corner to reduce bulk.
- Carefully turn your DIY face mask right side out and poke out each corner.
- Turn in and enclose the side that is not sewn.
- Carefully sew around the side closed, being sure to do a backstitch at the start and end to keep it secure.
- Once it’s all sewn up, iron the edges for a nice, crisp appearance and better fit.
If you are interested in a DIY face mask using tissue paper, we have written an article about how to make a tissue paper with face masks. Check out the article for useful patterns and tutorials.
✅ Video – DIY Face Mask with Filter Pockets and Adjustable Ties
The video below is shared by Jennifer on her YouTube channel. Watch her make the face mask using the same steps above. In the video, she shows how to make the cut the fabrics using the patterns that she has and assemble them together to create a face mask. If you want an actual demonstration of the steps above, watch the video below.
Face Mask with Paracord Straps
You can also use paracord for the straps or ties of the mask. It is another option that you can use if you have one at home. The video below is shared by the Paracord Planet and tackles how to make a mask with paracord straps. It is another method that includes sewing. The paracord should be tightly attached to the mask to make sure that there are no gaps between your face and the mask wherein the virus can get through. Check out the video tutorial below.
We have also written an article that tackles the different face mask tutorials and patterns. We have gathered 21 free patterns and tutorials that you can follow when making face masks. Also, we have shared tutorials for sewing and no-sew face masks for every skill level.
✅ Video – Easy Sew DIY Face Mask with Paracord Straps
The video shared by the Paracord Planet shows how to make a mask with paracord straps in easy steps. The mask is easy to sew and does not require much sewing experience. In the video, he also tackled the patterns used in creating the mask in the video. He also demonstrates how to make the paracord straps, pinning the pleats, and adding the wire nose piece into the mask. Watch the tutorial below.
Homemade Face Mask with Elastic Ties
One of the most popular materials used when making ties for a face mask is elastic. Elastic is stretchable and goes back to its original form. It is commonly used in sewing and is easy to attach to various materials. A tutorial shared by the Sweet Red Poppy site tackles how to make a face mask with elastics as ear loops. Check out the steps below.
- 2 layers 100% Quilting Cotton (Adult: 9″ x 7″ Child: 7″ x 5″)
- 2 strips 1/4″ Elastic (Adult: 7” Child: 6”)
- Place one piece of fabric in front of you.
- Pin a piece of elastic on the top and bottom of the short end to create an ear loop. (The elastic should be placed 1/2 “from the top and bottom edge of the fabric)
- Repeat the process on the opposite side.
- Place the second piece of fabric on top with right sides facing each other.
- Starting at the corner, sew around the face mask making sure to backstitch over the elastic to lock the stitches in place. (Leave a 1 1/2″ opening along the bottom of the mask for turning)
- Turn the mask right side out and use an iron to press it flat.
- Create three pin-tucks markings by folding the mask in half and pressing it with an iron and then folding the outside edges to the center and pressing again.
- Open up the mask and create 1/2″ folds facing upwards. Pin the fold in place making sure all tucks are facing the same direction.
- Sew along the outside of the entire mask using a 3/8 inch seam allowance.
Check out this article about the best elastic for face masks. In the article, we have tackled the different kinds of elastics that you can use when making face masks. We have also gathered the best products that are available on the market. Read the post to find out which elastic is best for face masks.
✅ Video – Face Mask with Elastic Ties
Melanie Ham shares the video below on her YouTube channel. She demonstrates how to make a face mask using fabrics and elastics for the ear loops. You will need a sewing machine for this particular face mask pattern. She also shared some tips on how to make sure that the elastics are tightly attached to the mask. Check out the tutorial below.
Homemade Face Mask with Bias Tape
Another option when making ties or straps for face masks is to use bias tape. The Sewing Room Channel shared on YouTube a tutorial on how to make a mask using fabrics and a ½ inch wide bias tape. It is a good option if you do not want to sew fabric for the ties or do not have other materials at home. Watch the video for a step-by-step tutorial.
✅ Video – 15 Minute Face Mask with Ties
The Sewing Room Channel shared on YouTube how to make face masks with bias tape ties in 15 minutes. The materials and supplies needed are also shown in the video. She demonstrates the step-by-step instructions on how to cut, assemble, and sew the mask together. Moreover, she also provides tips on how to sew the fabrics and the bias tape. Check out the video tutorial below.
Check out this post about the best cloth face masks that we have written. We have gathered a list of the best cloth face masks that you can purchase. Moreover, we have provided information on the factors that need to be considered when purchasing cloth face masks online.
No-Sew Face Mask with Hair Ties
A simple solution when making a homemade face mask, and you do not know how to sew, is to use hair ties. All that you need is a bandana or handkerchief and two pieces of hair ties. Because no cutting and sewing is required, you will need to fold the fabric until it forms into a rectangle that can cover your nose and mouth. The tutorial below is shared by the Japanese Creations site which tackles how to make a face mask using a handkerchief and hair ties. Check out the video below.
- 2 hair ties
- Place the handkerchief face down.
- Fold the top to the center then fold the bottom to the center.
- Flip over.
- Fold the top to the center then fold the bottom to the center.
- Flip over.
- Thread the ends of the handkerchief through the hair ties.
- Fold the sides of the handkerchief.
- Flip over.
Check out this post about how to make a face mask with hair ties for tutorials and patterns. We have shared different methods on how to make a face mask using hair ties. You can find sewing patterns for those who know how to sew. We have also provided no-sew patterns for those who are not good with needlework.
✅ Video – Easy Pleated Face Mask
The video below is shared by the Japanese Creations site and demonstrates the steps above. It is easy to follow and you will only need two materials. Watch carefully how the handkerchief is folded, how the hair ties are inserted, and the ends of the handkerchief tucked together to create a face mask.
Face Mask with Rubber Band
Another no-sew face mask that you can make is using bandana, handkerchief, or t-shirt and rubber bands. The tutorial below is from the Spruce site and tackles how to make a face mask using a bandana and rubber bands. It is a quick and easy no-sew option that you can do. Check out the steps on how to make the mask below.
- 2 rubber bands
- Lay your fabric out flat on the table, with the patterned side facing down towards the table and the backside facing up towards you.
- Take the top edge of the fabric and fold it down, so it reaches the center of the bandana.
- Do the same with the bottom half and fold the fabric up, so it reaches the center of the bandana, meeting the top edge that you folded down.
- Complete two more folds by folding the top down to the middle and the bottom up to the middle.
- Fold the right and left sides of your fabric rectangle towards the center.
- Take a rubber band and slip it over one end of the folded fabric, leaving a few inches on end.
- Repeat with the other rubber band on the other side of the folded fabric.
- Tuck one of these folds inside of the other to further secure the fabric.
Check out this article about the best neoprene face masks. We have shared a list of the best products on the market that you can purchase.
✅ Video – Quick and Easy No-Sew Face Mask
Kristin Omdahl shares the video below on her YouTube channel. She demonstrates how to make a face mask using a bandana and rubber bands. According to her, anyone can make this mask quickly and easily. She demonstrates how to fold the bandana and attach the rubber bands on each end for the ear loops. Check out the video tutorial below.
Kinds of Ties to Choose From
There are three different ways to attach the tie into the face mask. You can choose one according to your preferences. Plan it out before making the mask.
For this kind of tie, you can use elastics, rubber bands, or hair ties. You will need the ties to be short and tight so that it will stay securely wrapped around your ears. On the other hand, they should not be too short or tight that they would pop off and hurt your ears.
Ties that go around your ears
You can use fabrics, ribbons, or elastics for this kind of a tie. They are loose ties that you tie together behind your ears every time you put the mask on. It is simple to make and requires the least work when it comes to sewing. You can simply slip it on the mask.
Ties that go around the back of your head
You will need a long material for making this kind of a tie. Fabrics, paracords, yarns, ribbons, or long elastics will work for the tie. The tie should be long enough to go around the back of your head horizontally. On the other hand, the length should be enough so that the fit will not be too loose.
You can also check out this article about the materials that you can use in place of elastic. We have shared information about the best materials that you can use when making ties for face masks.
You have reached the end of this post that tackles how to make a face mask with ties. There are many options that you can choose from. If you know how to sew, you can make ties made from fabrics, ribbons, and elastics. On the other hand, you can use rubber bands and hair ties if you want a face mask that is quick and easy to do. Depending on your preferences, you can always find a pattern or tutorial that you can follow. Try making a mask from one of the tutorials above. Thank you for reading!